Working as a Gynaecologist in Sweden 

Working as a specialist doctor in obstetrics and gynaecology in Sweden, you will specialise in women’s reproductive systems.

Gynaecologists working in Sweden may face conditions such as cancer and precursors of cancer in the reproductive organs, incontinence, amenorrhea, infertility, some forms of STIs, etc.

As a gynaecologist you will perform a variety of tests and exams focused on women’s health, such as the standard yearly exam on adult women to ensure their reproductive health, a pap smear, STD tests, and breast exam. You will also monitor women’s use of birth control, and in case you are also certified as an obstetrician, you will monitor the health of the mother and the foetus during pregnancy.

They may also check for vaginal infections and urinary tract infections in women complaining of lower abdominal pain or sexual pain. Specialist doctors in gynaecology working in Sweden also perform minor surgeries on women’s reproductive organs, such as tube tying.

Working as a Gynaecologist in Norway

Working as a specialist doctor in gynaecology, you will perform annual tests and exams, diagnose illnesses and infections, treat hormonal abnormalities, prescribe medication, and advise patients on birth control or fertility options. In addition, in case of double specialisation, obstetrician and gynaecologist, you will deal with prenatal and postnatal care throughout pregnancy and after childbirth, and of course with delivering babies.

In Norway, there are also many subspecialties such as gynaecologic oncology, which focuses on cancers related to women’s reproductive organs.

Gynaecology in Norway provides employment opportunities in private practice, clinics, hospitals, universities, and government agencies.

Gynaecologists working in Norway will perform ultrasound examinations of the woman’s ovaries, uterus and foetus –the unborn child–, treat female organ conditions and disorders, and analyse data, reports and images to diagnose the patient’s medical condition and initiate treatment.

Working as a Gynaecologist in Denmark

Gynaecologists working in Denmark focus on the female reproductive system, including routine primary and preventive care, pregnancy and delivery, menopause, and medical or surgical management of all gynaecological problems. You will deal with a full range of general gynaecologic services for women, from yearly examinations and screenings to highly specialised procedures. General gynaecologic conditions you will face as a specialist doctor in gynaecology in Denmark include abnormal bleeding, chronic pelvic pain, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, loss of bladder control, pelvic floor disorders, problems with pelvic support, and contraceptive advice.

Your roles will be to provide accurate diagnosis through ultrasound, endoscopic examination, laparoscopic surgery and Pap tests and colposcopy to assess abnormal Pap tests and also treatment to these problems. As a gynaecologist, your speciality will cover both benign gynaecological diseases from bleeding disorders to uterine malformation, to ovarian pathologies, to endocrine diseases including polycystic ovarian syndrome and sexual development disorders, but also malignant gynaecological diseases such as cervical, endometrial, ovarian, vulvar and vaginal cancers.